Re: GUB problem

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: GUB problem
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 16:14:55 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Masamichi Hosoda" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2016 4:02 PM

GUB's basic document
https://github.com/gperciva/gub/blob/master/web/basics.html
says

```
   <h3>SHARING DIRECTORIES</h3>

   GUB uses an ABI environment variable to work around some build
   bugs in some packages.  This variable is not checked by the
   environment-changed function, so problems will probably occur if
   you share your GUB build directory between a 32-bit and 64-bit OS.
   If you change your operating system, delete the target/ directory
   of GUB before trying to build it again.

I think this is quite a difficult one to answer.

My main machine was (IIRC) 64 bit originally - that's partly why I
used a VM for GUB, since GUB used not to work in a 64 bit environment.
When I upgraded from Ubuntu 10.04, via 12 to 14.04, the machine became
32 bit, since I selected that option because it seemed that the 64 bit
was not deigned for Intel CPUs.  I think I may have misunderstood
that, but whatever the reason, I now run a 32 bit main machine.  As
part of the move to Ubuntu 14, I needed to upgrade the Oracle VM
software, but did not change the VM spec at all.  So I think the
answer is that the actual VM disk has never seen a 64 bit environment,
but has run within a 64 bit environment.

Thank you for your answer.

I'd like to suggest deleting `target/` such as in the GUB's basic document.
But, after you delete it, GUB's full build takes a long long time.

Yes, I know :-(

Should I revert my ABI change before trying the rebuild?

--
Phil Holmes