Re: guile-2.0 and debian

From: Antonio Ospite
Subject: Re: guile-2.0 and debian
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2016 16:10:29 +0100

On Thu, 24 Nov 2016 14:03:32 +0100
Federico Bruni <address@hidden> wrote:

> Il giorno gio 24 nov 2016 alle 8:14, Jan-Peter Voigt <address@hidden>
> ha scritto:
[...]
> > There is a another question I have in mind: What would it mean to
> > create LilyDev as a container-based-solution? On my laptop and my
> > working machine I regularly use LXC to start Apache or Tomcat inside
> > a container for testing purposes. And if I have to test something I
> > often do that inside a container
> > (https://www.stgraber.org/2014/01/17/lxc-1-0-unprivileged-containers/).
>
> Me too, I think that containers are way better.
> But LilyDev was created also (I would say especially) for Mac and
> Windows users, who generally prefer virtual machines.
>
> There's a quick solution to "kill two birds with one stone".
> Antonio showed us how to turn the ISO image into something which can be
> run in a container:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2016-11/txtvFisIoyS8i.txt
>
> Even though you still have to download 1GB of ISO file.

Yeah, I could have used deboostrap directly, but starting from the
lilydev ISO I didn't have to figure out what packages to install.
It was just a proof of concept after all.

> > Is there a script, which prepares an ubuntu installation for lilydev
> > (beside apt-get build-dep lilypond) and gub? That way one can set up
> > a container, run the setup-script (prob. with options to select
> > either guile 1.8 or 2.0.12/13). The lilydev-solution is just an iso
> > to download. But if you want to test with different guile-versions,
> > you have to provide a vm for each one of them. Containers are much
> > lighter and smaller and use less cpu and take the memory they need -
> > not a fixed amount in the vm-settings.

> > prepare a ubuntu-based installation for lilypond-development and gub
> > (using the local lilypond-sources)?
> > I say ubuntu-based as lilydev is based on it. But other distributions
> > might as well work.
>
> LilyDev is based on Debian stable.
> Setting up a Linux OS to build LilyPond is quite straightforward. A
> script would make it even easier.
> I agree that for Linux users containers are the best approach.

And about the choice between guile 1.8 or 2.0.12/13, it should be
possible to have both guile-1.8 and guile-2.0 packages installed in the
same image and then let lilypond choose which one to pick up at
configure-time, shoudln't it?

Developers interested in comparing results would have two development
directories, one configured for guile-1.8 and one for guile-2.0.

Ciao,
   Antonio

--
Antonio Ospite