Re: guile-2.0 and debian

From: Antonio Ospite
Subject: Re: guile-2.0 and debian
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2016 23:19:24 +0100

On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 09:33:42 +0100
David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

[...]
> >> with the container and/or LilyDev for guile2 we are going to have some
> >> stuff to simplify the workflow, attracting more people.
> >> It's still tedious to add Antonios patches.
> >> How about creating a public branch?
> >> I could do this in the evening (if I remember the syntax)
> >>
> >> What do you think?
> >
> > Shouldn't most of them be able to become part of master?

TBH I didn't try to compile lilypond using guile-1.8 with my patches
applied, I can give it a go in the next days.

> Though the time frame of master moves in weeks, and the impetus of
> developer activity may move in hours.
>
> So a separate branch for communication might indeed be a reasonable
> short-term measure.

I agree, but since these patches are a moving target we should choose
one of these two alternative approaches:

 1. Use only one branch, but warn users that the branch might be
    rebased, this would mean that "git pull --force" might be needed on
    the client side.

 2. Use versioned branches, this means that when the need for a rebase
    arises the result of the rebasing goes into a new branch, e.g.:

      guile-2.0-v2

    or

      guile-2.0-20161125

In the mean time I started to write a TODO list of the missing pieces:

- Make lilypond locale-independent

- /input/regression/keys.ly looks bad (Reported by Thomas Morley)

- /input/regression/utf-8.ly changed spacing/line.break (Reported by
  Thomas Morley) Might be related to the floating point issue below

- Investigate why the floating point numbers are different in some
  decimal digits (Reported by Knut Petersen)

- Investigate why lilypond is a lot slower when using guile-2.0

Thanks,
   Antonio

--
Antonio Ospite