Re: linux-ppc harfbuzz GUB build error

From: Hans Aikema
Subject: Re: linux-ppc harfbuzz GUB build error
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2016 18:22:55 +0100

>>> Went into a bit of experimentation afterwards, still failed attempts only,
>>> after discovering that the message is basically a side-effect of
>>> set -u
>>> combined with autoconf apparently trying to use unbound variable
>>> CONFIG_SHELL
>>>
>>> On a cleanly booted docker-image recreated the issue with
>>> bin/gub freebsd-x86::lilypond
>>
>> In my environments, autoconf does not raise such error.
>> Do you set the "set -u" or "set -o nounset" somewhere?
>> If so, would you remove the setting?
> The set -u (or to be complete set -ux) I discovered inside
>
> /home/gub/gub/target/freebsd-x86/src/lilypond-git.sv.gnu.org--lilypond.git-master/smart-configure.sh
>
> which was the command that was called when the error was signalled

My suspicion was that Ubuntu and CentOS shells treat  'set -u’ different when
used in an
if test "x$CONFIG_SHELL" = x; then
construct

so as a varification of that assumption on the prompt I did:
set -u
if test "x$CONFIG_SHELL" = x; then echo "Configshell not set"; else echo
"Configshell set"; fi

for both a CentOS 7 and an Ubuntu Xenial container.
Unfortunately both yield a
bash: CONFIG_SHELL: unbound variable

will do some more digging inside autoconf to see if I can spot any reason why
CONFIG_SHELL would not be set in my case