Re: Arrow-glyphs in Feta (was: \arrow markup command)

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Arrow-glyphs in Feta (was: \arrow markup command)
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 10:04:35 -0700 (MST)

Hi, Simon!

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 9:11 AM, Simon Albrecht-2 [via Lilypond] <
address@hidden> wrote:

> On 23.12.2016 22:34, Simon Albrecht wrote:
> > Why does the Feta font have one glyph for each of the 4 directions in
> > which an arrow head generated with \arrow-head can point? Why not
> > simply rotate one glyph in the first place? (I’m sure the Metafont
> > code does just that, though it would strike me more logical to do it
> > on a ‘higher’ level.)
>
> Can anyone comment on this Feta question?

Here's what I could tell from looking at the source code. The function
first creates one barb of the arrow, then mirrors it vertically to create
the full arrowhead. Without any other transformations, this creates the
right-pointing arrowhead. Each of the other glyphs follow the same steps to
this point, and then transforms the glyph, either by negative scaling or by
rotation, to get the others. This applies for both open and closed
arrowheads.

HTH,
Abraham