Re: Offer to help development: Convert MIDI to Lilypond

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Offer to help development: Convert MIDI to Lilypond
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 19:19:21 +0000

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 08:43:34AM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> Graham:
> > That is correct; the python midi2ly conversion is quite
> > independent of the rest of LilyPond.  As a result, it is an
> > excellent place to begin!  :)
>
> So I propose that a better course of action would be to research

Thank you for the suggestion.

At the moment, it appears that midi.c is broken on at least one
architecture.  Fixing it would be a pain, and would do nothing to
reduce the problem it poses.  Moving to a completely python
solution would represent a solid step forward, both in terms of
reducing technical debt, and also in terms of a new contributor
getting familiar with our development process.

At that point, an interested person -- perhaps yourself? -- could
offer further patches which improved the quality of the lilypond
code.