Re: Implement shorten-pair for Hairpin (issue 315350043 by address@hidde

From: david . nalesnik
Subject: Re: Implement shorten-pair for Hairpin (issue 315350043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2017 04:48:33 -0800

On 2017/01/08 11:37:18, thomasmorley651 wrote:
On 2017/01/07 17:12:57, david.nalesnik wrote:
> Please review. Thanks!

Hi David,

very nice.

I can't review C++-code, but applied the patch and tested with:

\layout { \override Hairpin.layer = 200 \override Hairpin.color = #red
}

{
   \override Hairpin.minimum-length = 40
   \override Hairpin.shorten-pair = #'(-4 . -4)
   c'1\pppp~\< c'1~ c'2~ c'2\ffff\!
   \break
   c'1~\< c'1~ c'2~ c'2\!
}

Observations:

(1)
Obviously the actual printed extents of the Hairpin are affected.
(2)
It's now possible that the Hairpin collides with DynamicText for bad
settings of
shorten-pair.
DynamicText is not pushed out of the way. So shorten-pair is _not_ the
correct
tool to set the overall length of a Hairpin, but for fine tunings.

This is also the case with 'bound-padding and 'broken-bound-padding.  To
see this, replace the shorten-pair line in your example with

\override Hairpin.bound-padding = #-4

By the way, bound-padding isn't equivalent to shorten-pair.  If you
replace the shorten-pair overrides in my testing example with
bound-padding, you'll see no effect on the ends of the hairpins.
Bound-padding requires some sort of potentially colliding object on the
left or right.  (On the right this includes a barline -- even if there
is no span-bar.)

For that
purpose minimum-length is still the way to go.

This should be documented.

Worth a regtest and an entry in changes.

OK, will do.

Thanks for the review!

https://codereview.appspot.com/315350043/