Question about '\new Staff =' command

From: James
Subject: Question about '\new Staff =' command
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2017 14:05:13 +0000

Hello,

Would someone tell me (as a person who doesn't really use explicit
'Staff' commands what the purpose of the \new Staff = 'some string' is?

That is looking at many of the examples in our Docs and Snippets, the
'=' doesn't appear to do anything other than just be a human readable
label within the LilyPond file itself and so seems to be no better
than a kind of comment.

So for example if I simple remove the '= string' part of the \new Staff
command, it doesn't appear to break anything. Hence the curiosity of
what this achieve from a technical point of view.

Thank you for your time.

James