Cleaning up GSoC project ideas

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Cleaning up GSoC project ideas
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2017 22:10:34 +0100

Hi devs,

I'm not sure how to proceed with our GSoC projects page. I have the
impression that a number of the projects currently listed on our website
are actually orphaned, mainly because there are no mentors available.

I've written to all mentors listed there (even those who were listed as
"unavailable for 2016 (i.e. last year)) about this but got not too much
feedback yet. But I assume for some of the projects we won't have
mentors this year either.

However, I suggest that we either remove such orphaned projects or at
least compress and move them down to the bottom of the page. A concise
page with actual and current projects is quite important for attracting
students, I think.

The question is what will remain, and I *strongly* encourage all of you
to consider the existing list and/or think about projects that could be
suitable for a student to tackle in three months of full-time work, and
where you could consider volunteering to be listed as a mentor.

Keep in mind that there's a long way from this list to actually
mentoring a project (so you don't immediately engage in the full
project). And thinking of only the project itself I can tell you it's
not *that* much work to commit to.

We really need more activity here, and it can't be true that I have to
be permanently pushing to get things forward. So please someone or many
get involved ...

Best
Urs

--