Braille

From: Ralph Little
Subject: Braille
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2017 17:59:44 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,I see that there is some renewed activity in Lilypond dev and that's always
nice to see.I would like to drop something entirely different into the pot.
I have resurrected my Braille music output project, which was originated around
12 years ago and has been picked up and dropped at various times, mainly due to
family issues and emigration.
I've been beavering away it it for the past few months and I have a rough
prototype, probably sort of a proof of concept really, to fully explore the
issues. I have ended up with a set of C++ classes in a separate test bed, not
integrated fully with Lilypond as yet and I can produce proper music Braille in
bar-over-bar and single line format. The original  intention was to come up
with an API that could reside in a separate library linked to Lilypond thereby
providing a resource that others could use. I have now arrived at the point
where I need to make some decisions.
Into my dev branch, dev/rlittle I have the beginnings of a framework based
heavily on the midi implementation. Indeed it is composed of the the midi
classes replicated and stripped down, into which I intended to seed calls to
these classes to generate the Braille output.

I would like to elicit some opinion from the group as to where I should take
the project from here.
I would be interested in views on any aspect of the project, including but not
limited to whether or not it should be an integral part of Lilypond or perhaps
entirely separate, should it involve less C++ and more Guile, is the midi
framework a suitable vehicle?
I know that there have been suggestions that Braille could be generated from
MusicXML and I know some people have started (and apparently abandoned) that
effort and that is a valid option.
For me, I would like to see some integration with Lilypond. One the one hand,
Braille requires curation probably through Lilypond macros to direct line
breaking, preferences for certain encoding options and the like, as we do
currently for traditional output. The formatting challenges are very different
from traditional scoring but some editorial input is required in some areas for
aesthetic and reading efficiency concerns. Secondly, I would eventually like to
see Braille output as an option on Mutopia as midi is now.

RegardsRalph