Re: Scheme in LilyPond

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Scheme in LilyPond
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2017 17:17:58 +0200

Charles Winston <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I’m fooling around with using Scheme in lilypond files, making some
> way on my GSoC chords project. I’m trying to call the make-note-ev
> procedure found in scm/chord-entry.scm on line 196. I’ve written
> something simple:
>
> #(begin
>       (define root (ly:make-pitch 0 0 0))
>       (display (make-note-ev root))
> )
>
> And I get an error saying that make-note-ev is an unbound variable. I
> thought that we could call Scheme procedures from the source in
> lilypond files. What am I missing here?

You can only access exported definitions (defined using define-public or
explicitly exported using (export ...)) outside of the module itself.
But even then, only entities defined at top level are part of the module
interface and can be exported: all other definitions are local to the
enclosing definition and not known outside.