Re: lilypond-manuals.css: edit color scheme and some spacing (issue 3220

From: Paul
Subject: Re: lilypond-manuals.css: edit color scheme and some spacing (issue 322070043 by address@hidden)
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 11:30:55 -0400

On 06/10/2017 07:30 PM, address@hidden wrote:

I don't feel strongly about the old design being bad.

What got me motivated to work on it was the bright (fully saturated) colored borders around the code blocks, which I found distracting.

The new design looks mostly fine to me.

Glad to hear it.

I feel like the table of contents bar at the left is too wide.

I agree; it can get a bit wide especially on wider monitors/windows. (Note I have not changed its width in this patch.) Currently the size is a percentage of the window width. We could make that smaller, but at the risk that it gets too narrow on smaller screens/windows.

Another way would involve a different approach in the css, allowing us to set a maximum and minimum width to it. But this would entail more work/changes to the css and maybe the html. (e.g. to use floats, flexbox, or grid positioning rather than the current "position: fixed;" approach.)

Or... we could keep the "position: fixed;" approach and set the width to a constant amount rather than a percentage. And/or we could also set media query break points to change that constant for different window widths. This could even be combined with the percentages so it could effectively have a max and min width and be set by percent in between.

In any case this would warrant its own issue.

But I would be fine with it being like this.

Glad to hear, and thanks for the feedback.

-Paul