Re: LyricExtender suicide fix

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: LyricExtender suicide fix
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 10:02:06 -0400

On 2017-06-14 12:07 PM, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Hello all,

The attached file includes a hack/fix I sponsored a couple of years ago.

Any thoughts/discussion towards putting this in the codebase would be
appreciated. Happy to shepherd it myself, if it's just a matter of adding this
code somewhere [not in C++] and submitting a patch.

Hi Kieren,

without looking at your snippet any closer (don't have Lily available right here, right now): please see

https://codereview.appspot.com/313240043

This aims to be a full-stop solution to extender handling that most probably offers a superset of your proposal, thanks to Knut's hard work. Unfortunately, while the code is working, there are implications w.r.t. long-term maintainability of the feature and impact to clean backend design. David K. has (very valid) concerns there, and has it on his todo-list - but as you know, the time he can and should devote is fairly limited these days.

For a very easy-to-use, no-compile-time-patches-needed workaround that still offers plenty of automation and functionality, see the autoextenders.ily from
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-12/msg00536.html
(I hope I pointed you to the last version).

HTH,
Alex