Re: Making LilyPond quickly

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Making LilyPond quickly
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 17:56:34 +0200

Il giorno mar 27 giu 2017 alle 16:58, Charles Winston <address@hidden> ha scritto:
So far for my chords project, I’ve only been editing Scheme files, so I haven’t needed to build lilypond at all to test. Now I’m working on C++ files, so I need to compile in order to test my changes. It’s frustrating that compiling takes such a long time. I’m just using the “make” command, so I’m making all. I feel like there must be a way to compile only the specific things I changed. How would I do that?

AFAIK, make should compile only what's required depending on sources' modification time.
You can speed it up with the -j option:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor/saving-time-with-the-_002dj-option