Re: Duplication of pages with slight changes to color of grobs?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Duplication of pages with slight changes to color of grobs?
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 16:52:35 +0200

Karlin High <address@hidden> writes:

> On 7/17/2017 1:30 AM, Knut Petersen wrote:
>> I could release the code now, but I hesitate to do so for a number of
>> reasons:
>>
>> a) It's normally a really bad idea to tell the user to modify
>> lilypond's scm and ps files.
>
> I don't care.
>

>> b) The way this project works will be broken by a change to cairo.
>
> I don't care.

I actually don't understand what Knut is aiming at here.  If something
is integrated into LilyPond, why would one need to change its scm and ps
files?

And I have no idea what b) is about.  Obviously a change to use Cairo
would lead to different internals but that means that any actions within
LilyPond's code base would need mapping to new internals.

> I just want to be able to make video scores like your latest example!
>
> Of course, having the features based on modifying important source
> code and unaligned with possible directions of future development is
> far from ideal. It's hard to see that these efforts will age well in
> their current state.

Exactly.

> But visual aids like video scores are valuable when teaching complex
> choral works to groups that haven't had much experience with that sort
> of music. I'm excited to see that it's possible to make them in
> LilyPond. Go, Knut!

But where to?

One obvious thing we likely want is to be able to track the timing of
graphical elements.  Currently, PDF tracks source positions as links.
That's not quite the same thing, particularly as long as Midi does not
offer doing the same.  I'm not sure PDF is the best format for that (or
PostScript either): SVG seems like it would be better suited for
graphical post-processing.  Possibly even the socket backend?