Re: Add usage of OpenType font feature to the documents (issue 328140043

From: tisimst . lilypond
Subject: Re: Add usage of OpenType font feature to the documents (issue 328140043 by address@hidden)
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 10:16:55 -0700

On 2017/07/31 16:58:40, lemzwerg wrote:
In general, Pango is agnostic of the features themselves, AFAIK.  It
simply
forwards the selected stuff to the font in question.

If Pango really is agnostic of the features, that is really exciting and
a bit mysterious ;-).

However, the user has first to look up what the font he or she wants
to use
actually supports, but this is not lilypond's job.

Oh, I get that. Perhaps a note should be added, though, to mention that
if the user requests a feature that doesn't exist in the chosen font,
then the feature is simply ignored.

What could be added, though, is a link to such a font inspection tool
that
reports the font's OpenType capabilities (i.e., supported scripts,
languages,
features).

Sounds good to me! Is there a web-based tool that can do this? That'd
eliminate the need to install another app just to inspect a font's
features. I use FontForge all the time, so I understand how to do it,
but a "normal" user probably won't have a font editor.

https://codereview.appspot.com/328140043/