Re: Ghostscript/GhostPDL 9.22 Release Candidate 1

From: Ken Sharp
Subject: Re: Ghostscript/GhostPDL 9.22 Release Candidate 1
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 16:55:38 +0100

At 14:57 20/09/2017 +0200, Knut Petersen wrote:

I sent a collection of files to Ken.

Well, my idea doesn't work with your font, because (I think) its an OTF font. I had hoped it would be possible to create the PDF files with *no* fonts embedded at all, then have Ghostscript embed them just the once when emitting the final file. This works for my simple tests, but not for your files/fonts.

I've basically run out of time to look any further. In my opinion you would be better to embed subset fonts in all the PDF files and live with the size of that, or create larger figures so that you have fewer of them and therefore fewer fonts embedded.

When we have customers wanting to send us 125GB files I have to say that a concern over file sizes in the few megabytes seems a bit picky.

However, that's clearly not going to sway anyone, so I'll have to give up. Obviously you can do what you will, however I will warn you, one last time, that what you are doing is taking advantage of a bug.

There are two consequences to this; firstly that the actual bug which the current Ghostscript code is designed to fix may one day affect you as well. Secondly, if PDFDontUseFontObjectNum ever stops working because we have altered the code to fix some other problem, I (and probably any successor) won't feel obligated to repair it, because its a bug not a feature.

            Ken