Re: Add alpha transparency to SVG backend (issue 330300043 by address@hi

From: Knut Petersen
Subject: Re: Add alpha transparency to SVG backend (issue 330300043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 12:04:44 +0200

Message:
Adds more flexibility to the coloring of elements in SVG files. It is
disappointing how there is no support in PS, and thus our generation of
PNG. This is useful though in my view, and at least it's available
somewhere.

Postscript/Ghostscript allows to define transparency for a pdf target.

BUT: We build our scores from a lot of symbols and a few postscript functions. Most of the time those symbols overlap. What would be the result if we would use transparent colors for stems, noteheads, ledger lines, flags, accidentals, etc? I think the result would be pretty useless unless your intention is to show how we  construct our scores. The attached lilypond source demonstrates how to persuade lilypond to generate a pdf with transparency, and it demonstrates the problem I mentioned.

You invested a lot of work, so the probability is high that there is a real use
for the feature. Could you be so kind to give an example to a man with a lack
of imagination?

Knut