Re: make metronomeMarkFormatter more flexible (issue 327620043 by addres

From: dak
Subject: Re: make metronomeMarkFormatter more flexible (issue 327620043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2017 02:36:25 -0700

On 2017/10/15 09:31:37, Malte Meyn wrote:
Maybe we should think about another subproperty for text like "M. M."
that is
placed before the note but after the opening parenthesis if there is
one. This
can be neither in the tempo text (\tempo "Allegro M. M." 4 = 120 would
put it
before the parenthesis) nor in the parenthesis text (\tempo 4 = 120
would omit
it).

I think it's rather obvious that we won't get something that caters for
every format without actually giving the user the equivalent of
providing a formatting function (in the form of a markup command): even
a format string requires a certain order of elements.

We might provide a stock formatting function that consults the details
and thus can cater for the most common use cases.  But trying to capture
all is just going to make for an incomprehensible and complex interface
that still does not work for all use cases.

https://codereview.appspot.com/327620043/