Re: -dcrop not included in 2.20?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: -dcrop not included in 2.20?
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2017 12:50:17 +0100

Joram <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi David, Étienne et al.
>
> Am 02.12.2017 um 09:46 schrieb David Kastrup:
>> Étienne Beaulé <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> What is the status of this? ...
>> You don't make a better case by repeating yourself endlessly.  I heard
>> what you said the last half dozen times.
>

> But Étienne is right that the status is unclear and I understand why he
> asks. I reread this thread and from my understanding this is the content:
>
>   Tomohiro Tatejima: Will it be included?
>   David: undecided, … "that's a weak argument against it."
>   Some people speaking up in favour of the functionality.

Nobody, by the way, bothering to address this on a technical level.

>   No further reaction.

So?  There hasn't been any merge to the 2.20 branch since then.  Such a
merge will obviously be done after suitable evaluation.  The number of
people shouting "me too" does not factor in the criteria for a stable
release.

If you want to volunteer as release manager for the stable release, feel
free to do so.

> So it is basically "I would like to have it" against "I am not sure".
> Are there more tangible arguments against it now? To me it's unclear
> what the problem actually is.
>
> How can we be more pragmatic?

By shutting up once you have nothing new to say.  If you think the
release manager is an imbecile unable to do his work without bombarding
him with repetitions without technical content, feel free to volunteer
for this job yourself.

> Or in other words what would have to be done/what would have to change
> to include it? What would the road for inclusion look like? (Am I
> right that it's more about the 'how and when' then about the 'if ever'
> of such a functionality?)

Essentially: "How can I manipulate the release manager to do my
bidding?"  The easiest way is to _be_ the release manager.