Re: New Status "Shelved" in LilyPond Bug Tracker

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: New Status "Shelved" in LilyPond Bug Tracker
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 12:14:59 +0000 (GMT)

Hello Trevor,

On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 16:50:01 +0000, Trevor <address@hidden> wrote:

> Devs and Bug Trackers
>
> I have implemented a new Status field in the Issues Tracker at
> SourceForge: Status:Shelved, with the meaning:
>
> "Probably desirable, but impractical to implement at present due to lack
> of resources".
>
> There is also a new Search: Open (Shelved) to list them.
>
> ATM only one Issue has this Status,
> https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/5244/ but there are lots
> of other existing issues that could be assigned to it, when someone has
> a few spare moments to go through the Issues to find them.

Without getting into unnecessary semantics with dictionary definitions etc. how
does this 'status' differ, so to speak, from an issue that is simply marked as
an 'enhancement' and has the 'Status' field either blank or set to 'accepted'.

After all, I suspect that 'many' enhancements (if not all) on our tracker list
could be classed as "... impractical to implement at present due to lack of
resources"

You may also recall a long conversation we all had back in 2015.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2015-11/msg00146.html

Where I was trying to establish a process for the Patch Meister (i.e. me) to
comb through all opened/abandoned trackers and reset statuses accordingly but
of course, good intentions and all that, I never did get around to it. N.B It
would create a lot of noise for people for those subscribed to one or more of
dev, bug and auto lists.

I did however find a patch that I was working on at the time, but that I never
published for review, to update the CG section on the patch process; but as
always I let it get to big and then and then and then and then ... so it sits
here 'shelved' as it were on my own PC.

Perhaps now is a good moment to revisit all this section again?

Regards

James