Re: Issue 5272: Add \depart <markup> (issue 337520043 by address@hidden)

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Issue 5272: Add \depart <markup> (issue 337520043 by address@hidden)
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 15:18:55 +0000

On 2/7/18, 2:37 AM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of Torsten Hämmerle"
<address@hidden on behalf of address@hidden> wrote:

    If there will probably even be a MIDI playback in the future, we actually
    need "real" marks to jump to, not only text markups.
    This being said, I'd favour *something containing "mark" and "repeat"*,
    because that's what it's all about.

 If we want to capture semantics properly, I believe we need to recognize that
there are three different kinds of marks:

1) "jump-from" marks (D.S. al ..., D.C. al ..., To Coda)
2) "jump-to" marks (Segno, beginning of piece, coda)
3) "stop playing" marks (Fine, end of piece)

Now, granted, we don't need any marks for the beginning of the piece or the end
of the piece.  They just happen.

But if we try to capture all three semantics in a single mark, our prospective
MIDI performer would need to analyze the mark to decide which kind it was.  And
since we can do whatever we want with the mark by changing the markup, it seems
like we need three *different* marks.  My initial proposal if we want to go the
functional route would be to use

\depart
\join
\fine

It seems  likely that all three could create a FlowScript grob.

Thanks,

Carl