GSoC 2018 Interest and Information Request

From: Ed Harbison
Subject: GSoC 2018 Interest and Information Request
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2018 12:04:10 -0500

Hello everyone!  I know that GNU is accepted for GSoC 2018, and LilyPond falls
under that umbrella.  I’m very glad LilyPond has the opportunity to
participate, and I hope they will do well.

To introduce myself, my name is Edward Harbison.  I am about two-thirds through
my third year of undergraduate studies at Moravian College in Bethlehem, PA,
USA, where I am a dual-major in chemistry and computer science with minors in
mathematics and music theory.  This past summer, I participated in a research
project on campus involving LilyPond (which will be public soon).  I have
knowledge of Python, Java, C, C++, Scheme, and MusicXML.  I've also been using
LilyPond as my primary scorewriter for a few years now, and I have been
venturing through its source code as well.

Looking at the projects listed on LilyPond’s website, the project I am most
interested in is “Support for Style Sheets”.  I’ve been trying to make this
functionality for myself anyways, so I’d love to be able to partake in the
project.  Is there any way I can get some more information on the project?  The
GSoC page on the LilyPond website is helpful, but of course, I’d love to learn
more about it.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.  I truly appreciate it greatly.  I
look forward to possibly working with LilyPond in this great opportunity, and I
hope to hear back soon!

Sincerely,
Edward Harbison