Re: make-tie-stencil: bug? and optional values?

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: make-tie-stencil: bug? and optional values?
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2018 23:12:59 +0200

> dak wrote
>> Well, yeah.  (* (/ ... h_inf) h_inf)  does not make a whole lot of sense
>> either way.
>
> @Harm
>
> Function F0_1(w) basically is supposed to return 0 for w = 0 and
> asymptotically approach a limit of 1 as w grows wider.
> Because atan(x) -> π/2 (i.e. 90°) as x -> infinity, the result is multiplied
> by 2/π to get 1 as a limit.
>
> h_inf is the maximum height the tie can reach.
>
> Dividing by h_inf within the function just influences the shape of the
> curve, i.e. how exactly F0_1 it will change from 0 to 1.
> Finally, the result (!) of F0_1 is multiplied by h_inf.
>
> In the current scheme code effectively (/ h_inf h_inf) gives a factor of 1
> and has no effect at all.
>
> The coding will work anyway, but the form of the curve will be different and
> the maximum height will always be 1, no matter how big h_inf actually is.
>
> *Therefore, your solution*
>         (* (F0_1 (/ (* w r_0) h_inf)) h_inf)))
> *exactly matches the C implementation:*
>
> Apart from that, either code will "work". As an example, I've plotted three
> functions:
>
> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t3887/bezier-tie-f0_1.png>
> red: the "wrong" calculation with h_inf/h_inf = 1 cancelling out, no matter
> what value you pass as h_inf
> green: h_inf = 2, so that a maximum height of 2 is being approached.
> green: h_inf = 3, so that a maximum height of 3 is being approached.
>
> The "wrong" coding will always result in the red curve, as if h_inf was 1.
> So if (incidentally) h_inf = 1, you won't see a difference.
>
> All the best,
> Torsten

David, Torsten

Thanks for your comments and hints.

Patch is up:
http://codereview.appspot.com/342030043

I think Jan intended to do the cc-definition exactly in scheme, though
with a little less height-limit (h_inf) than Tie-default. It was a
simple blunder with those brackets. While implementing the different
tie-markup it slipped me as well.

After this patch make-tie-stencil is better customizable and working
as it should. Probably the tie-markups will show a very liitle
difference, but I'm not sure whether patchy will catch them, at least
my local tests didn't.

Thanks,
  Harm