Re: Clarify notation for slurs and beams (issue 343060043 by address@hid

From: thomasmorley65
Subject: Re: Clarify notation for slurs and beams (issue 343060043 by address@hidden)
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 14:49:37 -0700

Hi Carl,

many thanks for your work.
Some remarks:

https://codereview.appspot.com/343060043/diff/40001/Documentation/learning/fundamental.itely
File Documentation/learning/fundamental.itely (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/343060043/diff/40001/Documentation/learning/fundamental.itely#newcode465
Documentation/learning/fundamental.itely:465: optionally followed by one
or more post-events.  Post-events add
I'd completely delete 'post-event'.
From a musical thinking it makes no sense. An articulation is not
performed _after_ the note.
To explain it programmatical, this is not the right place, imho.

Why not simply:

"A note entry in LilyPond consists of a pitch, followed by a duration,
optionally followed by things such as articulations, fingerings, string
numbers, slurs, ties, explanatory text, etc."

https://codereview.appspot.com/343060043/diff/40001/Documentation/learning/fundamental.itely#newcode481
Documentation/learning/fundamental.itely:481: Post-events follow the
note to which they are attached.  Suppose we

Here as well.

Also, I think it's important to drop a sentence about the "-"-signs,
which actually attach those optional elements to the note.

So my suggestion:

"Optional elements are added at the end of the initial
note-duration-entry.  Probably using a "-"-sign, which can be omitted,
if no ambiguity occurs.
Suppose we ..."

https://codereview.appspot.com/343060043/diff/40001/Documentation/learning/fundamental.itely#newcode488
Documentation/learning/fundamental.itely:488: {c'8-1--(~^\markup{"text
annotation"} c' d')}

For the sake of simplicity I'd not use direction-modifiers and enter the
text without explicit \markup, i.e.:
{c'8-1--(~-"text annotation" c' d')}

https://codereview.appspot.com/343060043/