Re: Issue 5368: Reduce allocations in Grob dimension caching (issue 3597

From: Hans Åberg
Subject: Re: Issue 5368: Reduce allocations in Grob dimension caching (issue 359770043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2018 15:36:18 +0200

> On 7 Jul 2018, at 13:12, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hans Åberg <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> There is a danger in using an older compiler that is not supported, as
>> there might be bugs that are not going to be fixed.
>
> Well, that's the point, isn't it?  If a significant amount of users have
> no convenient choice avoiding that older compiler, we want to discover
> any such bugs that are not going to be fixed in testing.

You are not likely to be very successful at that, as gcc is too big and
complicated, but the tradeoff is ditching some older platforms, for sure. The
current LilyPond binary won't run on the upcoming MacOS 10.14 as it is only
32-bit, I think. So not updating might cause it to not run on newer platforms.