Limit the angle of broken hairpins

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Limit the angle of broken hairpins
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 12:14:00 +0200

Hi,

as brought up in http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2018-09/msg00236.html broken hairpins look ugly when they are too short. This is (as pointed out by Harm) due to the fact that the heights at the broken edges are hardcoded in the C++ function printing the hairpin.

I suggest a two-fold remedy:

1) limit the heights at the broken edges so the height/width ratio of the sibling doesn't exceed a certain value (I'd start with 1/2)

2) make that ratio and the broken-heights values user-settable as grob properties.

I've given it a partial try that can be seen at https://github.com/lilypond/lilypond/pull/4. This commit (hopefully) implements part 1) of the above. I've also attached the patch. Since I don't have a working build environment right now I couldn't test this code, but it should be straightforward, I think.

I would be glad if someone could add the code to create the grob properties (should be little work but not if you have to first look everything up like me) in order to upload it for review later.

Urs