Re: Turkish makam using regular.ly

From: Hans Åberg
Subject: Re: Turkish makam using regular.ly
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2018 12:46:14 +0200

> On 21 Oct 2018, at 10:56, Torsten Hämmerle <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hans Åberg-2 wrote
>> One only needs two extra files (below) that define and call the accidental
>> glyphs in the Bravura.otf font, […]
>
> Hi Hans,
>
> Nice work!

Thanks!

> If I understand it correctly, the main reason for switching to Bravura are
> missing Emmentaler accidental glyphs (obviously the multi-arrowed ones, if I
> look at your definition files).

Yes, that is the only reason. LilyPond has only some of them, so that would
leave gaps in E53, and also in E72, if one would use it there.

> Incidentally, I'm planning to fill in the Emmentaler gaps in the (very) near
> future directly after issue #3356 has been fixed (in two weeks latest).
> In the course of issue #3356 "add triple flats/sharps" I've unified and
> considerably generalized the Metafont accidental glyph definitions so that
> it is now possible to create a whole variety of arrowed accidentals (the
> existing standard arrows as well as new stacked smaller arrows, "black"
> flats (with filled-in counters), etc.
> The Metafont overhaul was, among others, the reason why it took so long (but
> it's in the final internal testing phase now, struggling with
> spacing/positioning issues for big-arrow-up doublesharp).

Great!. Then Smufl is not needed at all for these here.

> The new glyph names for the tiny-arrowed accidentals (just the ones you
> currently use are mentioned here) will be
>
>  accidentals.flatflat.1up
>  accidentals.flatflat.2up
>  accidentals.flatflat.1down
>  accidentals.flatflat.2down
>  accidentals.flat.1up
>  accidentals.flat.2up
>  accidentals.flat.1down
>  accidentals.flat.2down
>  accidentals.natural.1up
>  accidentals.natural.2up
>  accidentals.natural.1down
>  accidentals.natural.2down
>  accidentals.sharp.1up
>  accidentals.sharp.2up
>  accidentals.sharp.1down
>  accidentals.sharp.2down
>  accidentals.doublesharp.1up
>  accidentals.doublesharp.2up
>  accidentals.doublesharp.1down
>  accidentals.doublesharp.2down
>
> That way, we can gradually make LilyPond's Emmentaler keep up with SMuFL
> accidentals (and Dorico… ;))

I do not have any preference about the names. You can see the Smufl names in
the file regularE53smufl.ly I posted.