Re: Turkish makam using regular.ly

From: Adam Good
Subject: Re: Turkish makam using regular.ly
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 21:40:53 -0400

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 5:46 PM Hans Åberg <address@hidden> wrote:

> Is this right? It is traditional to raise the third below the finalis, but
> not in the octave above, and it looks as though is a. I found this [1], it
> has an additional accidental at e.
>
> Then the finalis should also be the key, as it is always within the scale.

Typically but bestenigar is one of those rare makams in which it's not and
keep in mind this only happened 2 out of 91 makams for me so far. There's
bound to be at least one more.

In terms of musicality I get it...bestenigar's behavior starts out and uses
so much of makam saba's behavior. It's a quick turn at the end to a finalis
on the pitch IRAK. And the high leading tone of eb will never find its way
into the key signature.

http://www.neyzen.com/nota_arsivi/02_klasik_eserler/011_bestenigar/bestenigar_p_tanburi_numan_ney.pdf

> Is is then possible to have both f and fb, and set the key signature as to
> want.

I would just recommend going with what's tradition. I actually find it
difficult to read through bestenigar pieces with the fb in the key
signature and not showing up in the score. It doesn't look familiar to me.