Re: ISO git-and-patch mentoring/assistance

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: ISO git-and-patch mentoring/assistance
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2018 15:04:26 +0100

> Hello all,
>
> I'm reaching out for help with the git-and-patch process for my first
> two patches. They are both very small changes — one is a tweak to an
> existing music function, one is the addition of a few pieces of
> syntactic sugar — which I think are perfect as first
> attempts/submissions.
>
> I believe I have all the skills to do it all myself — or, of course,
> could RTFM — but there are two things I definitely need to be
> successful:
>
> 1. a tutor/mentor willing to answer questions the moment I get stuck
> on any step (because otherwise, the mountain of items on my "regular
> life" to-do list will simply swamp this effort); and
>
> 2. an accountability colleague, willing to check in with me if the process
> stalls.
>
> If there’s anyone here with the patience to help me out of the
> starting block, I think I could contribute (on my own) more to the
> ’Pond once my life settles down in the New Year.
>
> Feel free to respond off-list.

Well, the developer list is sort-of "David plus mitigation" or "multiple
sources with David as fallback" regarding technical advice particularly
in relation to Git and our operating procedures.  Which likely beats
"just David".  So the developer list as a whole seems certainly one
somewhat viable solution to your problem.