Re: New LilyPond contributor: Basia Mroczek

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: New LilyPond contributor: Basia Mroczek
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2018 00:40:32 +0100

Hello Basia (and Janek),

Am 21.11.18 um 23:20 schrieb Janek Warchoł:
Hi everyone,

I'd like to introduce Basia Mroczek, who's joining our team for several
months. Basia is a graduate (is that the correct english term?) of
Mathematics at the University of Warsaw (so, cream of the crop!) who'd like
to steer her career more towards programming rather than math.

She's a musician (sings and plays guitar) and a LilyPond user (as the
librarian of the choir in which I used to sing - and in which I had been a
librarian, too!). That's quite some similarities between us ;-)

I have invited her to join LilyPond project as an intern programmer and
will tutor her, hoping that she will have a lot of opportunities to learn
skills necessary for software development, gather experience - and make
LilyPond better in the process.

Please give her a warm welcome!

Welcome to our community. It's great to see motivated new people coming around. And if you managed to get Janek to show up again we're additionally grateful for your appearance ;-)

I'm sure Janek will (or already has started) point you to setting up a working environment, as Werner has suggested. For us it would also be interesting to know a little bit about your programming experience and interests. The major languages used in the LilyPond context are C++ (with strong ties to the Guile platform (https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/learn/)) and Guile Scheme, and Python both for a number of helper tools and the Frescobaldi editor. Your knowledge of or interest in learning these languages is probably the most determining factor for thinking about *what* you could start working on.

Best wishes
Urs

Janek