Re: GUB - Cannot Build Perl

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GUB - Cannot Build Perl
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2018 12:19:59 +0100

Jahrme Risner <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> tl;dr: I cannot get Perl to build in GUB.
>
> I have been lurking on the list for a while as a user looking to become a
> contributor. The first contribution I have been looking to make is to help
> produce a 64-bit release of LilyPond for macOS. GUB currently has 'darwin-ppc'
> and 'darwin-x86' as supported platforms but does not include a 'darwin-64'
> platform. I have included some information at the bottom of my email on why I
> feel adding a 64-bit release is important.

In return, retiring the ppc version seems reasonable.

> It is my understanding that there are large-scale issues/concerns with
> GUB in terms of maintainability and reproducibility, so I understand
> if my issues with GUB are not a priority.

It's more like we have nobody really working on it regularly.

> If there is anything I can do to assist in getting a different
> (hopefully better) build-system working to produce releases please let
> me know.

For assistance to be of use, there would have to be a main worker.  I
don't think that it's likely we are going to easily find someone
creating and maintaining something doing a better job than GUB both with
the actual work and with regard to someone being able to keep it going.