Re: Lilypond Python upgrade

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Lilypond Python upgrade
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 10:32:55 +0100 (CET)

>> It was over two and a half years ago I was about to launch into
>> starting off the upgrade of lilypond to use Python 3.  [...]
>
> That would be great.  Upgrade to python3 only? Or python2 + python3?

Definitely the latter!  However, I think we should first upgrade gub
to contain Python 2.6 as a first step – the compatibility layers that
allow simple coding for both Python 2 and 3 expect at least that
version.

> Consider that GUB might not be able to build lilypond anymore until
> its python is upgraded.  There's already a problem, see here:
> https://github.com/gperciva/gub/pull/6#issuecomment-431063463

Yes.  The patch in this pull request should be added to gub ASAP.

Andrew, assuming that you have a working gub environment, could you
start with that?

    Werner