Re: Please test gub

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Please test gub
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2019 13:25:31 +0100 (CET)

>> @Werner: Didn't you write something about updating python in gub?

Well, someone (I forgot his name) offered to work on updating python
to the latest 2.7.x version, which should make it easier to eventually
migrate to python 3.x...

> I assume you're referring to the situation that (e.g.) 2.19.82's
> musicxml2ly chokes with an error message regarding UTF-8 and
> producing ly files containing garbage bytes in each literal string.
>
> On my system, your description matches: Current Master's musicxml2ly
> python script runs fine using my local python2 (2.7.15rc1) but has
> the error using 2.19.82's python2.4 (2.4.5).

Given that nobody is really working on musicxml2ly, I strongly suggest
that people start testing and using Jacques Menu's `xml2ly' program
instead:

  https://github.com/grame-cncm/libmusicxml/tree/lilypond

(i.e., the `lilypond' branch of the `libmusicxml' git repository).

AFAIK, the results are far superior to the `musicxml2ly' script.

    Werner