Re: 64-bit version of Lilypond?

From: Hans Åberg
Subject: Re: 64-bit version of Lilypond?
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 00:48:28 +0100

> On 25 Feb 2019, at 00:10, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Xcode license:
>>  https://www.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/xcode.pdf
>
> Well, I think that one is pretty clear:
>
>    2.5
>    Copies
>
>    [...] For clarity, You may copy only the entire package or piece of
>    the Apple Software and Services in its entirety and only for use as
>    permitted herein. You may not alter the Apple Software or Services
>    in any way in such copy, e.g., You are expressly prohibited from
>    separately using the Apple SDKs or attempting to run any part of the
>    Apple Software on non-Apple-branded hardware.  [...]
>
> So the current Xcode SDK very clearly is off-limits for use within GUB.
> It's probably either some Darwin SDK or we'll stop providing MacOSX
> packagers/versions altogether.

US copyright law makes an exception for computer maintenance, so it would seem
OK to develop on another platform, and distribute it for use on the indicated
hardware.

Another exception: Some OS X server version has been made available on
VirtualBox.org and I figure one might run Xcode within that. Their legal
department perhaps didn't think about that.

But you might look into making a MacPorts version, using GCC.