Re: 64-bit version of Lilypond?

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: 64-bit version of Lilypond?
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 11:12:24 -0500

On 3/15/2019 8:52 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
Karlin High <address@hidden> writes:

Phil? Anyone? How much extra effort for macOS builds would be tolerable?

(In any case; with or without Apple hardware. All aside from
matter-of-principle objections to Apple's license requirement.)

It is disingenuous to call it "matter-of-principle objections" if we
don't want to set up ourselves for getting sued by Apple for copyright
violation.  Apple's license is a legal document spelling out
requirements for legal use of their software.  Are you going to pay for
the defense if they sue for copyright violation of their Xcode license?

Apple has lots of lawyers and deep pockets.  And more relevant, they
most certainly have the _right_ to set the licensing conditions for
Xcode.

Sorry, communication failure. I was trying to avoid the Apple licensing question, and ended up raising it instead. :( I have full agreement with everything you wrote there. Except that, no, I don't want do be legal defense vs. Apple. :)

What I meant was, forget about everything Apple for this question. It's general, for ANY operating system. If an OS needs its build done outside of GUB - how much extra effort for that is acceptable? Say, having to run GUB on Linux, then also start a "make lilypond" on something else, and then gather the results from both for upload to lilypond.org?

PS: Possible future research on whether Linux can build something for
macOS using only what's available at opensource.apple.com.

Depending on just _what_ OpenSource license they use.  If we have to
link with Apple libraries, we have to be able to release the result
under GPL-3.0.  Not as a "matter-of-principle" but because we cannot
afford gratuitous copyright violation.

From what I've seen so far, some Apple open-source things are GPL2. They also have an "Apple Public Software License." Example from their cctools package:

<https://opensource.apple.com/source/cctools/cctools-795/APPLE_LICENSE.auto.html>

I haven't compared it with GPL, not an expert in this area.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA