Re: Patchy email

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Patchy email
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2019 11:10:05 +0200

James <address@hidden> writes:

> On 26/07/2019 19:36, David Kastrup wrote:
>> I run Patchy when I notice something went to staging.  Due to its cost,
>> I tend to abort it when I discover someone else pushing before me.
>>
>> So it would appear that your repository (and probably that of Knut) have
>> a local master branch which would mask that the patch in question does
>> not produce output relative to the origin repository and thus produces
>> stuff that is not reducible.  A local master branch tends to be a bad
>> idea (though not as bad as a local staging branch) since you don't want
>> to collect changes of your own on it.
>
> However the patchy scripts set up a local master
>
> e.g. If I manually delete my local master and then run the patchy scripts:
>
>> Branch 'master' set up to track remote branch 'master' from 'origin'.
>> Switched to a new branch 'master'
>
> (or is that not what you are talking about?)

It is, but that does not happen in my repository when running
lilypond-patchy-staging.py .  Since there is no point in maintaining a
local master potentially differing from upstream in the testing scripts,
I wonder what script would be responsible here.

> My workflow is that I always make sure that dev/local_working (where I
> do my own changes before creating patches), local staging and local
> master are always 'in sync' before I run patchy and that staging is
> cleaned.
>
> It's no different than what I have always done.
>
> So I wonder why the tests passed and my own patchy merge passed but
> yours failed?

My patchy-staging test does not create a local master and I don't
maintain one of my own.  I wonder why it would be different from yours.

> I am just worried that the veracity of my patch testing is not good
> enough

My lilypond-extra is up to date with two patches on top (that likely
should at some time be pushed):

commit c8c317eed3e774fb73132e48071ebd14bdda1b88 (HEAD -> master)