Re: Python 3

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Python 3
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 11:29:36 +0200

Am Samstag, den 21.09.2019, 11:20 +0200 schrieb Werner LEMBERG:
> >> So, I offered to do the 2->3 port a long time ago but circumstances
>
> >> prevented me from doing so. Would it be constructive if I launched
>
> >> into that aspect?
>

> Yes, definitely.
>
> > I've also started looking into this and used the branch
>
> > dev/knupero/lilypy3devel as a starting point (see also
>

> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2019-08/msg00014.html
> ).
>

> Yep.
>
> > On top of that I've worked on the attached patches which brings the
>
> > make targets check / test and doc back to life with Python 3.7.4.
>
> > Maybe they can be added to the branch mentioned above to serve as a
>
> > single source of truth?  I know the third patch is pretty large, let
>
> > me know if I should try to split it up...
>

> I hope Knut will do that soon.
>
> Regarding patch size: I suggest that you group mechanical changes into
> separate patches, for example all changes related to
>
>   / → //
>
> and
>
>   decode('utf-8')
>
> could be two patches.
>
> `git add -p' is your friend to do that conveniently.

Sure, that is the usual suggestion. But I'm not sure if that is really
helpful here because none of these changes will do anything on its own.
So my question is whether the patch is too large to go as one "fix that
script for Python 3"?

> > As I'm pretty new to the development of Lilypond, I'm not really
>
> > sure if there's something else to do in the source code repository
>
> > itself?  I'm pretty sure I didn't get to run through all error
>
> > branches in all scripts, but the targets mentioned in the
>
> > documentation work for me right now.  If not, sounds like working on
>
> > GUB would be next?
>

> Getting acquainted with GUB is certainly very helpful.  You might also
> look up the various issues in the bug tracker; maybe you find
> something that interests you.

I was more referring to tasks related to Python 3...

Thanks,
Jonas