Re: Python 3

From: Matthew Peveler
Subject: Re: Python 3
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 18:05:39 -0300

On Sep 30, 2019, at 14:22, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> But I don't see
> that a clean cut from Python2 to Python3 in a single step is easily
> feasible and testable for all targets at once including all GUB targets.

Yeah, I did this for my own edification, and with the thought that it might
make it (based on my prior experience with porting some python2 libraries)
that going at a step process with a window of maintaining both as it allows
for upstreaming the python3 stuff onto master as the same time as other
work goes on, and there isn't a problem of diverging branches.

This does assume however that GUB is updated to at least target at least
Python 2.6 (for __future__.print_function).

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 4:12 PM Dan Eble <address@hidden> wrote:

> Matt, I might be able to help with this, but can you describe more
> specifically what is lacking?  When your py changes are done, will the
> current makefiles continue to work in environments with Python 2, but
> require updates to work in environments with Python 3?
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan

Please see attached for the patches, which given the work done prior by
Jonas, allows for running the various make targets under both python2&3
(assuming application of my other two patches for py3), though my principle
test was that the targets finished without error, as I am still not as well
acquainted with the build process to fully verify build results.

The python2 explicit stuff is in the final patch, with at least the shebang
stuff being applicable for being replaced with #!@TARGET_PYTHON@ like all
the other python files (which I plan to do in the next day or so). The
stepmake stuff though is were I have no idea how to handle as I am not sure
exactly what its purpose/doing is.