Re: Python 3

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: Python 3
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 18:08:48 -0400

On Sep 30, 2019, at 17:05, Matthew Peveler <address@hidden> wrote:

> Please see attached for [ten] patches, which given the work done prior by
> Jonas, allows for running the various make targets under both python2&3
> (assuming application of my other two patches for py3)

The thought that gave rise to my question was that I would be more comfortable
collaborating if these changes were in git rather than a dozen patches in
multiple messages in the mailing list archive.  (I don’t intend that to sound
mean.)

> my principle test was that the targets finished without error
> . . .
> The stepmake stuff though is were I have no idea how to handle as I am not
> sure exactly what its purpose/doing is.

Is that pessimism?

If you want to discover whether the targets you are testing exercise the rules
in python-module-rules.make, you can insert a command that will fail when you
get there, e.g.

$(outdir)/%.pyo: $(outdir)/%.py
        false # DO NOT COMMIT
        $(PYTHON) -O -c 'import py_compile; py_compile.compile ("$<")'

If your tests are exercising those rules and nothing else seems to go wrong,
that should reduce your concern.

Regards,
—
Dan