Re: gub targets + binary packages

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: gub targets + binary packages
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2019 17:51:39 +0000

On 10/7/19, 11:27 AM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of Jonas Hahnfeld via
lilypond-devel" <lilypond-devel-bounces+c_sorensen=address@hidden on behalf of
address@hidden> wrote:

    Hi all,

    lately I've been playing with gub, partly to get python3 packaged. Upon
    inspection, it seems some targets are broken and some are ... a bit
    out-of-date:

    darwin-ppc: Support for applications targeting PowerPC was removed in
    Darwin 11.0 / Mac OS X 10.7, released in 2011.

That doesn't mean there aren’t people using PowerPC macs.  I don't think there
is a reason to eliminate this target.

    darwin-x86: Support for 32-bit applications was removed in today's
    macOS 10.15.
    (darwin-64 is not currently supported in gub.)

darwin-64 is not likely to be supportable in gub.  We've had some long
discussions on the -devel list; Apple has not released any 64-bit headers that
are GPL compatible.  So providing darwin-x86 is probably the best we can do for
supporting macOS users via the GUB distributions.  Again, no reason to
eliminate -x86 just because the latest version of OS X doesn't support it.
Many people (including me) have refused to update to 10.15 precisely because it
breaks existing software that works well for me.

    freebsd-32 / freebsd-64: Apart from issues with the installer, the
    binaries don't work on my virtual machine: gub links the executables to
    a GNU libc which doesn't match the .so versions actually installed on a
    current FreeBSD (FreeBSD 12.1: libc.so.7 vs libc.so.6 and libm.so.5 vs
    libm.so.4). Even if the versions matched, I'm not sure that mixing
    different libraries (GNU libc vs FreeBSD libc) would work. Maybe I'm
    doing something wrong, does anyone use these pre-built binaries?

    linux-64 seems to work fine, linux-x86 is probably getting less
    important with most distributions discontinuing support for 32-bit
    kernels (yes, you could run 32-bit application on 64-bit kernels, but
    still ...).
    The most important target is probably Windows / mingw, which is also
    32-bit but works on current 64-bit systems.

We also would like to get a 64-bit windows system going; 32-bit applications
sometimes crash on large scores.  As far as I know, it is only a question of
developer time to get a 64-bit windows build going.

 Thanks,

Carl