Re: gub targets + binary packages

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: gub targets + binary packages
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 11:00:11 +0200

Am Montag, den 07.10.2019, 20:31 +0000 schrieb Carl Sorensen:
> On 10/7/19, 1:47 PM, "Jonas Hahnfeld" <
> address@hidden
> > wrote:
>
>     Am Montag, den 07.10.2019, 19:23 +0000 schrieb Carl Sorensen:
>     >
>     > On 10/7/19, 1:10 PM, "Jonas Hahnfeld" <
>     >
> address@hidden
>
>     > > wrote:
>     >
>     >     Am Montag, den 07.10.2019, 17:51 +0000 schrieb Carl Sorensen:
>     >     >
>     >     > On 10/7/19, 11:27 AM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of Jonas
> Hahnfeld via lilypond-devel" <
>     >     >
>     >
> lilypond-devel-bounces+c_sorensen=address@hidden
>
>     >
>     >     >  on behalf of
>     >     >
>     >
> address@hidden
>
>     >
>     >     > > wrote:
>     >     >
>     >     >     Hi all,
>     >     >
>     >     >     lately I've been playing with gub, partly to get python3
> packaged. Upon
>     >     >     inspection, it seems some targets are broken and some are ...
> a bit
>     >     >     out-of-date:
>     >     >
>     >     >     darwin-ppc: Support for applications targeting PowerPC was
> removed in
>     >     >     Darwin 11.0 / Mac OS X 10.7, released in 2011.
>     >     >
>     >     > That doesn't mean there aren’t people using PowerPC macs.  I
> don't think there is a reason to eliminate this target.
>     >
>     >     If my search skills are right, the last model with a PowerPC
> processor
>     >     was the Power Mac G5, with the latest revision released in late
> 2005.
>     >     That's almost 14 years ago (on October 19, if Wikipedia is correct).
>     >
>     >     What do you think would be a reasonable time frame to eliminate
> support
>     >     for old hardware? From my perspective, it's always a trade-off
> between
>     >     developer time and supporting users.
>     >
>     > In my opinion, we could eliminate PowerPC support if it were broken.
> Unless some PowerPC user wants to step up and do the maintenance, I wouldn't
> be concerned about removing it.  One of the theories of GUB is that the
> developer time in minimized for maintaining cross-platform build.  But as we
> can see, the theory doesn't always match  the practice.
>     >
>     > But if it's not broken, I see no reason to remove it.  As long as the
> developer time is zero, we should leave it.

> [...]

Regardless of what is decided with respect to 64-bit executables for
OSX, I managed to get Python 3.7.4 integrated into gub. It compiles
fine for darwin-x86 and darwin-ppc (in addition to linux-64, linux-x86,
linux-ppc and the embeddable package for mingw) and should be co-
installable with python-2.4.5. Would be great if somebody could check
that the binaries actually work on macOS 10.14. (I didn't bother with
freebsd because the binaries don't work AFAICT.)

Is there a maintainer for gub who could take a look at my Pull Requests
on GitHub?
https://github.com/gperciva/gub/pulls/hahnjo

Regards,
Jonas