Re: Issue 5590: Remove dead code from Dot_formatting_problem (issue 5831

From: Carl . D . Sorensen
Subject: Re: Issue 5590: Remove dead code from Dot_formatting_problem (issue 583100043 by address@hidden)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 12:38:23 -0700

I'm torn on this patch.  Obviously, the current case is not good.  We
shouldn't have dead code around.  But it is possible that we should in
fact use a "best" for the dot formatting problem, and the failure to do
so may lead to some of the random formatting issues we see in our
regtests.

It's not clear to me that the optimal solution to this is to remove the
best.  It might be better to keep the best and put in a FIXME that
points out it is unused.

I did some work a few years a go on the dot_column code, but never got
it ready for submission.  I will look into my code tonight when I get
home and see how I handled the "best" issue.

My bottom line is that the current system is definitely broken.  I'm not
sure if the best fix is to remove the unused code (which will hide the
potential brokenness of the dot_column creation) or to highlight the
unused code as being broken.

https://codereview.appspot.com/583100043/