Re: shepherd a patch?

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: shepherd a patch?
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2019 07:28:35 -0600

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 2:19 AM Jonas Hahnfeld <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 14.11.2019, 21:10 -0600 schrieb David Nalesnik:
>
> Hi all,
>

> I have a patch which implements measure-attached spanners.  I am
>
> having a devil of a time getting the patch up for review.  I simply
>
> can't get git-cl to upload it.  (I suspect this has something to do
>
> with the number of files it touches--my system times out before
>
> everything can be uploaded.)
>

> based on your other messages, you're using LilyDev when running git-cl? If
> you say it times out, I would guess that git-cl waiting for you to authorize
> the tool. Usually, it opens a browser for that, but that's probably not going
> to work under a headless VM / container?
> Did you try running git-cl from your host system?
>
> Jonas

Ugh.  My failing memory.  Several years ago I did need to upload the
patch from git-cl on an Ubuntu machine outside of LilyDev.  The output
I got on the Win10 machine that hosts LilyDev would give me output
similar to the following:

[dev@lilydev:lilypond-git]$ git-cl upload origin/master
 input/regression/measure-spanner-spacing-pair.ly |  33 +++++
 input/regression/measure-spanner.ly              |  30 +++++
 lily/bracket.cc                                  |  10 +-
 lily/enclosing-bracket.cc                        |   4 +-
 lily/include/bracket.hh                          |   3 +-
 lily/include/measure-attached-spanner.hh         |  34 +++++
 lily/measure-attached-spanner.cc                 | 151 +++++++++++++++++++++++
 ly/spanners-init.ly                              |   4 +
 scm/define-event-classes.scm                     |   1 +
 scm/define-grobs.scm                             |  22 ++++
 scm/define-music-types.scm                       |   6 +
 scm/scheme-engravers.scm                         |  63 ++++++++++
Upload server: codereview.appspot.com (change with -s/--server)
Your browser has been opened to visit:

    https://codereview.appspot.com/get-access-token?port=8001

If your browser is on a different machine then exit and re-run
upload.py with the command-line parameter

  --no_oauth2_webbrowser

Issue created. URL: http://codereview.appspot.com/566970043
Uploading base file for input/regression/measure-spanner-spacing-pair.ly
Uploading base file for scm/define-event-classes.scm
Uploading base file for scm/scheme-engravers.scm
Uploading base file for scm/define-grobs.scm
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/dev/git-cl/git-cl", line 628, in <module>
    sys.exit(main(sys.argv))
  File "/home/dev/git-cl/git-cl", line 622, in main
    return func(argv[2:])
  File "/home/dev/git-cl/git-cl", line 335, in CmdUpload
    issue, patchset = upload.RealMain(['upload'] + upload_args + args)
  File "/home/dev/git-cl/upload.py", line 2693, in RealMain
    vcs.UploadBaseFiles(issue, rpc_server, patches, patchset, options, files)
  File "/home/dev/git-cl/upload.py", line 1220, in UploadBaseFiles
    print t.get(timeout=60)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/multiprocessing/pool.py", line 567, in get
    raise self._value
urllib2.URLError: <urlopen error [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name
resolution>
[dev@lilydev:lilypond-git]$

I see now that a Rietveld issue is created with all my changes present.
https://codereview.appspot.com/571180043/
However, no issue is created on the Allura tracker.

I presume that it is possible to do what remains in the issue tracker
without having to run git-cl successfully?

Thanks for your help!
David