Re: Prepare for encoding changes in Python 3 (issue 573280043 by address

From: nine . fierce . ballads
Subject: Re: Prepare for encoding changes in Python 3 (issue 573280043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2019 18:44:19 -0800

On 2019/11/24 11:47:01, hahnjo wrote:
On 2019/11/23 16:45:17, Dan Eble wrote:
> If an XML file is opened as a binary file, will the treatment of
> platform-specific line endings become inconvenient for some people?

I hope it does not: Once we know it's really text, the code will call
decode('utf-8') as before.

Do you have a specific case in mind that I should have a look at? I
tested with
Python 2.4 and 2.7 on Linux, and it passes a full check + doc.

Well, I don't have significant experience doing this kind of thing in
Python, but
what I'm wondering is whether an "\n" written in to a text XML file in
binary
mode might make the XML look wrong when opened in a Windows app that
expects "\r\n".

https://codereview.appspot.com/573280043/