Re: macOS 64-bit

From: Marnen Laibow-Koser
Subject: Re: macOS 64-bit
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2020 15:52:51 -0500

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 7:08 PM Marnen Laibow-Koser <address@hidden>
wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 6:52 PM Hans Åberg <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> > On 18 Oct 2019, at 00:30, Marnen Laibow-Koser <address@hidden>
>> wrote:

>> > With port mdmg/mpkg, or some other way?
>>
>> Yes, see
>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2019-03/msg00065.html
>>
>> > How do I try this out?
>>
>> Try this link:
>> https://web2.storegate.com/share/oCQjV4r
>>

> Awesome, thanks; I’ll try it when I get a chance. I still want to get an
> .app bundle built, but it’s good to know that the mdmg approach actually
> works as advertised. :)

Some updates.  For the time being, at least, I've changed approaches.
Since I couldn't understand much of GUB's OS detection logic, and no one
seemed able to help with that, I abandoned GUB entirely for my latest
attempt and used MacPorts to build a 64-bit LilyPond binary (thanks,
Werner!).

My current plan is now to build a 64-bit build of LilyPad.app and put the
LilyPond binary in there, then use
https://github.com/auriamg/macdylibbundler or some similar tool to package
the dylib dependencies in the app bundle.  While it's overcomplicated
thanks to poor documentation and obsolescent ways of doing things, this
seems like a potentially easy way to get a usable 64-bit LilyPond Mac .app
bundle that will run on Catalina.

Once I produce a usable Mac 64-bit build, I intend to automate the process
(probably with something like Buildkite) and be able to produce usable
builds for every future release.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Considerations?  Anyone want to help?

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
address@hidden