Re: Cleanup initialization of configure process (issue 549350043 by addr

From: jonas . hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Cleanup initialization of configure process (issue 549350043 by address@hidden)
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2020 08:22:32 -0800

Reviewers: dak,

Message:
On 2020/01/08 16:18:25, dak wrote:
https://codereview.appspot.com/549350043/diff/581410043/configure.ac
File configure.ac (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/549350043/diff/581410043/configure.ac#newcode7
configure.ac:7: AC_INIT([LilyPond], [2.21.0],
mailto:[address@hidden],
[lilypond], [http://lilypond.org/])
Hardwiring the version number in this manner is a real maintenance
drag.
Couldn't autogen.sh create a VERSION.AC file (or something like it)
containing
only the version number that is just included here?

I agree that it's essentially duplicated, but it's not that we bump the
version every day. To make sure there's no divergence, I added a check
that the one provided in AC_INIT and in VERSION are the same.

Ideally, I'd like to get rid of the VERSION completely, but apparently
you can build the website without configure'ing the project. I wasn't
sure if that is still used, so I went for this solution.

Cleanup initialization of configure process

Individual changes:
1. Cleanup directory handling in STEPMAKE_INIT

 * Get rid of code which configures the Stepmake package, that hasn't
   been supported for a long time.
 * Replace $ugh_ugh_autoconf250_builddir by $ac_pwd and @abs_builddi@.
   I think the latter is actually more correct, but $ac_abs_builddir
   not available when executing configure.
 * Replace hacks around $srcdir and @srcdir@ by predefined variables.

2. Drop unused MICRO_VERSION

3. Remove passing of package and invoke AC_INIT correctly

This requires the version information at two locations (VERSION and
configure.ac), so add a check that these two match.

Please review this at https://codereview.appspot.com/549350043/

Affected files (+59, -155 lines):
  M Documentation/contributor/build-notes.itexi
  M VERSION
  M aclocal.m4
  M config.hh.in
  M config.make.in
  M configure.ac
  M make/stepmake.make
  M make/substitute.make
  M po/GNUmakefile
  M stepmake/stepmake/c++-vars.make
  M stepmake/stepmake/compile-vars.make
  M stepmake/stepmake/executable-vars.make
  M stepmake/stepmake/generic-vars.make