Re: macOS 64-bit

From: Marnen Laibow-Koser
Subject: Re: macOS 64-bit
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2020 09:04:35 -0500

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 2:29 AM Jonas Hahnfeld <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > Here's a link to the script MacPorts is using to call lilypond.
> > >

> https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/master/textproc/lilypond-devel/files/lilypond.in
> > >
> > > It seems you have to set LDTL_LIBRARY_PATH.
> >
> > I saw that, of course, but I’m not sure what that variable even is.  In
> particular, I have no reason to believe that it affects Guile’s load
> path...but I’ll try it and see.  Thanks for the reminder.
> >
> > I *think* that the Guile load path is the last issue standing between me
> and a self-contained 64-bit Mac .app bundle.  Everything else appears to be
> working.
>
> From my experiments, this is where LilyPond's relocation kicks in. I
> think you have to provide .reloc files in etc/relocation, that's also
> what GUB does.

Yup, I copied those over from the GUB-built bundle.  I'm not quite sure how
they work, but it looks like the LilyPond executable looks for them on
startup, right?

Unfortunately, I don't quite see how to set the right path in those: an
.app bundle is movable, and while the Mac OS path resolver has a special
notation (@executable_path) for the path of the executable within that
bundle, it doesn't seem to put it into an environment variable in any
useful way.  I tried @executable_path in those pathnames, but it didn't
*seem* to work; OTOH, it changed enough behavior that further research may
be worth while.

I should say here that I don't know that much about Mac application
packaging; I'm doing this mostly because no one else seemed interested to
do it and I really want a 64-bit build.

> It allows to dynamically set environment variables, in
> this case GUILE_LOAD_PATH.
> To point you to the next error in advance: You have to do the same for
> Fontconfig or it can't find its config file 😉

Ah, thanks for the warning.  At this point I think it's all about
path-munging.

> Hope this helps,
> Jonas

Best,