Re: Cleanup initialization of configure process (issue 549350043 by addr

From: dak
Subject: Re: Cleanup initialization of configure process (issue 549350043 by address@hidden)
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 07:07:48 -0800

On 2020/01/14 14:48:44, Dan Eble wrote:
On 2020/01/14 14:43:34, hahnjo wrote:
> On 2020/01/14 14:29:38, Dan Eble wrote:
> > On 2020/01/14 13:59:43, dak wrote:
> > > On 2020/01/14 13:52:02, hahnjo wrote:
> > > I am not overly happy that it makes for inoperative code in the
case of a
> > > read-only repository that autogen.sh tries catering for.
> >
> > Thank you for calling this out, for I was not paying attention.  I
am
> currently
> > using a read-only view of the source directory in my build
environment.

> > Please do not push this change yet.  I will review it shortly and
offer an
> > opinion.
>
> Sure, I'm not in a hurry to land this.
> Could you maybe share how your build environment looks like to use a
read-only
> view of the git repository?

I build in a Docker container.  ~/lilypond-src is a read-only view of
the git
source tree.  ~/lilypond-build is the build directory.  This is how I
begin:

     cd ~/lilypond-build
     ~/lilypond-src/autogen.sh

I should have checked the "git blame" output.

commit edb80ace4df074fcb8a4976f452aabd2238cf733
Author: Dan Eble <address@hidden>
Date:   Sat Jan 27 13:04:49 2018 -0500

    Issue 5268: simplify building with a read-only source directory

    autogen.sh: If the source directory is not writable, generate the
    configure script into the current directory and tell the configure
    script the source directory.

    This is convenient for those would prefer to build in a container or
    virtual machine with a read-only view of source stored on the host.

https://codereview.appspot.com/549350043/