Re: github mirror of lilypond?

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: github mirror of lilypond?
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 10:39:43 +0100

Am Samstag, den 18.01.2020, 21:34 -0600 schrieb Karlin High:
> On 1/18/2020 4:59 AM, Jonas Hahnfeld via Discussions on LilyPond
> development wrote:
> > I strongly dislike Gerrit, it's really hard to learn and even after
> > some time I still can't figure out how to use it correctly.
>
> This topic is outside my expertise. But I understood that Gerrit and
> Rietveld are both descendants of Google's proprietary internal-use
> Mondrian code review tool.
>
> <
> https://www.gerritcodereview.com/about.html
> >

> I see quite a few patches lately that show Jonas Hahnfeld as the author...
>
> <
> https://codereview.appspot.com/user/hahnjo
> >
> <
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/lilypond.git/log/?qt=author&q=Jonas+Hahnfeld
> >

> ...so I'm wondering if Rietveld has you suffering in silence ;) or if
> the fork and rewrite mentioned on that Gerrit "about" page has greatly
> diverged the user experiences of these respective products?

Not sure what you're referring to here?
Having tried to work with Gerrit in the past, I found Rietveld easy
enough to use immediately. I'm not saying that it's the best review
tool I've ever used, but relying on SF for issue management is strictly
worse. And that's something that would not be tackled by switching to
Gerrit.

If there are enough people who prefer Gerrit, I'm open to giving it
another try. But if we can get a source hosting that combines all of
git, issues and patch handling, that would simplify things.

Jonas